Subclass 102: Adoption Visa
Subclass 102 visa allows children adopted or being adopted by Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens in foreign countries to enter and live in Australia indefinitely with their adoptive parent(s). The child applicants must be outside Australia at the time of application.
Primary Criteria for a Child Applicant
To be eligible to apply for this visa, the child must:
- have been or be in the process of being adopted through an arrangement with an Australian state or territory authority; or
- have been or be in the process of being adopted through an intercountry adoption between 2 countries, other than Australia, that are parties to the Hague Convention on the Protection of Children and Cooperation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (the Hague Adoption Convention); or
have been adopted through an expatriate adoption, that is without an Australian state or territory authority being involved. The adoption must be by an Australian citizen, an eligible New Zealand citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent visa who have been living outside Australia for more than 12 months before lodging the visa application.
Primary Criteria for a Sponsoring Parent
The child must be sponsored for this visa by an eligible adoptive parent or prospective adoptive parent who must be:
- An Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen; and
- Approved by the Department of Home Affairs as a sponsor for this visa.
The sponsorship application may be refused if the sponsor or their partner has been charged or convicted of offences involving children.
Relevant Public Interest Criteria:
4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4007, 4009, 4010, 4020 and 4021
These visas must specify a date of first entry. In addition, the Department may impose the following visa conditions:
8502: The holder of the visa must not enter Australia before the entry to Australia of a person specified in the visa.
8515: The holder of the visa must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entering Australia.
- Base application charge: $2,665
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $1,330
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $670