Subclass 884: Contributory Aged Parent Visa
Subclass 884 allows Australian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their retirement-aged parents on a temporary visa which permits a transition to the permanent Subclass 864 visa. Due to the enormous lump sum costs associated with the Subclass 864 Contributory Parent visa, the Subclass 884 visa allows Australian citizens and permanent residents to stagger the financial burden over multiple years.
Criteria for Grant
- The applicants must be sponsored by a child who is a settled Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
- They must be above the retirement age that is 67 (as at 16 March 2020); and
- They must satisfy the “Balance of Family” test; and
They must not have any other pending parent visa application.
Balance of Family Test
Only living children are counted in this test. If the location of a child is unknown, they are assumed to be in their last known location. The test can be summarised in the following terms:
Are at least half of the applicant’s children eligible children living in Australia?
Are there more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country?
Common scenarios in which the test is passed include where:
- 1 eligible child resides in Australia with 1 other child in another country;
- 2 eligible children reside in Australia, and 1 other child in country A, 1 other child in country B;
- 3 eligible children reside in Australia, 2 other children in country A, and 2 other children in country B
The first test is satisfied in the first two examples. In the third example, more children are in Australia than in any other country, thus satisfying the second test.
Relevant Public Interest Criteria:
4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4005, 4009, 4010, 4020, 4021 and 4019 (if applicable).
Relevant Special Return Criteria:
5001, 5002, 5010
There are no conditions associated with this Subclass.
Subclass 884 is payable in 2 instalments.
- Base application charge:$2,800
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $1,400
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $705
- Second instalment: $29,130