Subclass 173: Contributory Parent Visa
Subclass 173 allows Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens to sponsor their parents on a temporary and provisional visa which permits a transition to a permanent Subclass 143 visa. Due to the enormous one-off costs associated with the Subclass 143 Contributory Parent visa, the Subclass 173 visa allows the financial burden to spread over multiple years.
Criteria for grant
- The applicants must be sponsored by a child who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen; and
- They must satisfy the “Balance of Family” test; and
They must not have any other pending parent visa application.
Balance of Family Test
Only living children are counted in this test. If the location of a child is unknown, they are assumed to be in their last known location. The test can be summarised in the following terms:
Are at least half of the applicant’s children eligible children living in Australia?
Are there more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country?
Common scenarios in which the test is passed include where:
- 1 eligible child resides in Australia with 1 other child in another country;
- 2 eligible children reside in Australia, and 1 other child in country A, 1 other child in country B;
- 3 eligible children reside in Australia, 2 other children in country A, and 2 other children in country B
The first test is satisfied in the first two examples. In the third example, more children are in Australia than in any other country, thus satisfying the second test.
Relevant Public Interest Criteria:
4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4005, 4009, 4010, 4020, 4021 and 4019 (if applicable).
Relevant Special Return Criteria:
5001, 5002, 5010
The visa must specify the date for first entry. Additionally, the following conditions may be imposed:
8502: The holder of the visa must not enter Australia before the entry to Australia of a person specified in the visa.
8515: The holder of the visa must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entering Australia.
Subclass 173 is payable in 2 instalments:
- Base application charge: $2,800
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $1,400
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $705
- Second instalment: $29,130