Contributory Parent Visa
Subclass 173 allows Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens to sponsor their parents on a temporary and provisional visa which permits a transition to a permanent Subclass 143 visa. Due to the enormous one-off costs associated with the Subclass 143 Contributory Parent visa, the Subclass 173 visa allows the financial burden to spread over multiple years.
Criteria for grant
- The applicants must be sponsored by a child who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen; and
- They must satisfy the “Balance of Family” test; and
- They must not have any other pending parent visa application.
Balance of Family Test
Are there more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country?
- 1 eligible child resides in Australia with 1 other child in another country;
- 2 eligible children reside in Australia, and 1 other child in country A, 1 other child in country B;
- 3 eligible children reside in Australia, 2 other children in country A, and 2 other children in country B
Relevant Public Interest Criteria:
Relevant Special Return Criteria:
The visa must specify the date for first entry. Additionally, the following conditions may be imposed:
8502: The holder of the visa must not enter Australia before the entry to Australia of a person specified in the visa Australia.
8515: The holder of the visa must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entering Australia.
- Base application charge: $2,800
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $1,400
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $705
- Second instalment: $29,130